Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A long, long time ago in a country far away...

Ok, no lie. I was born in a foreign country to American parents. I was raised in a time and a place of acceptance and a sense of universality. During that same time and place the fear of war was also over our heads. At least our parents falsified security to make us all feel better.

Security to make us all feel better. What is security? I thought security was being a mom and having kids to take care of. That security is changing this year when I will be facing living alone for the first time. I thought confidence in this world involved having a husband, a job, a nice savings account, a home with two dogs and a cat. I only have two of those seven things yet I feel secure.

All of that can be taken away. Anytime. As a writer I know that. I've seen lives destroyed, houses and years of memories go up in flames, too many young people dying too soon, businesses sink, cars crash and nature takes it toll.

What I have learned in my years is not to depend on that security. Everything can be taken away in a split second. I depend on laughter to keep my sense of humor in difficult situations, time alone to give me perspective, sleep to refresh my mind and body.

Those are the things that bring me confidence in the future. Knowing that I can always laugh, get away for a moment alone and count on sleep to bring my day to an end (well, usually). These things will never be able to be taken away from me. The money could dry up, I could end up with no friends, no job, no dogs or cats. But if I have this inner assurance. losing what the world considers necessary is no big deal.

Where is your security?

No comments:

Post a Comment