Friday, April 12, 2013

Stumbling Blocks

I was 37 when I was diagnosed with cancer. It was no big deal. At least I tried to make it no big deal. I had kids at home. My biggest fear was that they were going to be 'that kid' whose mom died.

I had just ended a 10 year relationship the week before I went of to get my mammogram. I was truly alone.

I thought I would journal every step of my journey. I didn't.

I thought I would lose tons of weight from chemo. I didn't.

I bought different wigs in different styles and lengths so I could wear a different one each day. I only wore hats.

I made it through to the other side. Relationships grew, I made new friends and I found I was strong.

Once I spoke at a Relay for Life Survivors Banquet. I was sure I was going to faint from embarrassment but as I looked in the faces of my fellow survivors, I knew that we faced something that know once else would ever face. Each of our journey's are different. No two are alike.

I dealt with cancer. I know someone who struggles with alcohol addiction. Anxiety, loss of a child, death of a husband. It doesn't matter, we each face something no one else ever will. Each of our journey's are different.

How is yours different? What are you stumbling against?

No comments:

Post a Comment